Whether it’s a live performance or video recreations — most technical complaints about the performance are about poor audio. Most audio problems deal involve microphones.
According to audio expert Gary Boss of Audio Technica, most audio problems come from nine common microphone mistakes. Here they are:
- Too many microphones for the job.
- Choosing the wrong microphone or monitor position
- Poor microphone position for guitars
- Wrong microphone clips on snares
- Improper microphone storage
- Dirty vocal microphones
- Not knowing how an instrument is supposed to sound
- Microphone placement — use your ears
- Don’t let lead vocalist place hand over ball of the microphone